Go Back   KSKNetwork.com Forums > A Welcoming COMMUNITY of Supportive Decorative Finishers > The Reception Hall
Home Forums Chatroom Galleries Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM

cast stone fireplace mantle

Has anyone ever faux finished a cast stone fireplace. I have a client that wants a simple Old World Blot on a cast stone fireplace. I am waiting for them to get me the brand, but Io do know that the stone is very porous. any ideas?
Thanks
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM
ShaunaG

I have done this numerous times! It is great to bring out the texture and detail of the piece. I first clear coat it with Modern Masters Dead Flat Varnish. This will give you a really sealed surface without the appearance of a "painted" piece. Then I glaze it...however desired. You could also use a stain or a powder pigment wash, but I prefer the control of a glaze. Then I Dead Flat it again. Voila! ...Good luck.
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Thank you for the advice....I suspected that was what I could do...the client is nervous about it because it was such a costly item, but they hate just the plain white. This will hopefully help alleviate their fears! Thanks again!!
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Distinguished Member
Fauxcademy Award Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to fauxbiznv
Smile fireplace

Hi fauxcat,
I am glad you finally got some advice because I was leaning in this direction too but didn't have the experience to say with confidence. I would love to see a picture of it when you are finished.
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM

That I can do, but it probably will b e awhile, as I have quite a few projects in front of this one!